LibVLC.NET and .NET for Windows Store Apps

Dec 9, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Hello there,

I'm trying to build Windows 8 libvlc player, but i encountered some problems with loading libvlc.dll

The thing is, that debug says "Caught exception of type ArgumentException while loading libvlc.dll from C:\Program Files (x86)\VLC: The provided directory is invalid"

Of course directory exists and it's VLC installation folder.

I've been searching for similar problems but found nothing.

How can i solve it? I can even accept hard-coded solution, just to see if libvlc will be working properly.

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:04 PM

I'm not sure you'll ever be able to get this to work. Windows Store DLLs have to be specifically written for the WinRT platform.

The problem you are currently have stems from the fact that a Windows Store Application does not have access to anything outside of its own AppData folder unless specifically agreed to by the user (and even then I think Program Files/Windows/Etc or off limits).

I wish I had better news for you.. but I don't think this one is solvable.

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Actually, and you probably won't like it, but you might be able to get it to work if you move the VLC dlls to within your own application. After that include the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Package into your application. (In the Add Reference page, click 'Windows', click 'Extensions' and it should be listed there)

That MIGHT allow you to read the dlls. It's a long shot but it's better than nothing.

The problem with this approach is that you won't be able to release your application on all platforms. Most likely limiting your application to 32bit.

Dec 11, 2012 at 7:51 AM

Thanks for fast response.

It looks like I'll end up on using built-in MediaElement. On the other hand it's not as that bad :P